Ing-Tse Chen was born in Chicago and grew up in Taipei; received Bachelor of Science in Architecture at National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan; Master of Architecture at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA; credits of studies at Institute of Architecture and Institute of Space Planning, Technical University of Vienna.
Ms. Chen worked at various architects’ offices such as Büro Prof. Hans Puchhammer in Vienna, DeWitt Tishman Architects in New York, Coop Himmelb(l)au Vienna, Mexico, and Los Angeles; Graft Beijing, GOPA/AS&P Beijing. She is also the founding partner of Helix Architects in Beijing. Now she is assistant professor at the Department of Architecture, National Cheng Kung University.
- 2016-present, Assistant Professor, Department of Architecture,National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC.
- 2011-2015, Design Director,Founding Partner, Helix Architects, Beijing, PR. China.
- 2010-2011, Liaison Expert/Deputy Team Leader, GOPA/AS&P for MoHURD/GIZ’s SUDP/UIF Program, PR. China.
- 2009-2010, Designer for MetaDesign 3D Dept., Beijing, PR. China.
- 2005-2007, 2008, Architect for Graft Beijing, Beijing, PR. China.
- 2003-2004, Project Architect for Coop Himmelb(l)au LA, Los Angeles, USA.
- 2002-2003, Project Architect for Coop Himmelb(l)au Mex, Guadalajara, Mexico.
- 2002, Architect for Coop Himmelb(l)au, Vienna, Austria.
- 1998-2002, Architect for DeWitt Tishman Architects, New York, USA.
- 1996-1998, Architect’s Assistant for Büro Architekt Dipl.-Ing. Hans Puchhammer, Vienna, Austria.
- 1992-1994, Designer for Haigo Shen & Associates, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Architectural Design (3)
- Cultural and Educational Architecture
- Architectural Design (4)
- Architectural Graphics and Presentation
- Ethics of Architectural Practice
Education & Experiences
- 1994-1996, Master of Architecture, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
- 1996-1997, Exchange student in Faculty of Architecture and Planning, Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien), Vienna, Austria
- 1998-1992, Bachelor of Science in Architecture, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan, ROC
- Professional Qualifications
- 2000-present, New York State Registered Architect, USA
- 2009-present, LEED AP BD+C, USA
- Architectural Design
- Cultural and Educational Architecture
Honor & Awards
- Designboom 2006 Social Awareness Award, International Competition “Shelter in a Cart”, Award Winner,Entry “A Street Cart Named SURVIVOR”, Individual Project.
- Projects Published (Including Exhibitions)
- Chen, Ing-Tse; Lin, Jun-Xin, Lu Jing etc. (Staff of Helix Architects), Project “For Market, for Home - Outreach Courtyard, No. 1 Cha-Er Hutong as Showcase”Beijing Design Week – Qianmen Dashilar Pilot Exhibition at No. 1 Cha-Er Hutong, Beijing, PR. China, 2015. 10.
- Marianne Friese; Chen, Ing-Tse (Co-Designer), “Carefreeness in an Old Attic - Marianne’s Home Office”, Beijing, PR. China, “Interior Design China” 2010-07 Issue.
- Hoheisel, Gregor; Chen, Ing-Tse (Project Architect for Graft); Guu, Chueh Chi; Chu, Kahn (Local Architect of the Record in Taiwan)Project “Next Gene 20” Villas, Entry for Graft “Bei-Lin - Shell under Copious Rain”, Ao-Di, Taiwan,Venice Biennale -- The 11th International Architecture Exhibition, Venice, Italy, 2008.
- Chen, Ing-Tse; Individual Entry “MuhCO2” DA Design Association Japan / Designboom competition “Green Earth”Tokyo Designer’s Week, Tokyo, Japan, 2008.
- Chen, Ing-Tse; Individual Entry “Thought Bulb – Lion Lake Health Preservation Garden”“Domus inSpace” International Design Competition,Beijing, PR. China, 2008.
- Chen, Ing-Tse; Individual Entry “Starry Starry Night”, International Competition “Bright LED”, Gwangiu Design Biennale 2007 / Designboom, Gwangiu, Korea, 2007.
- Chen, Ing-Tse; Individual Entry “In a Realm of Senses - ARMChair”De Padova / Designboom 2007 International Design Competition Exhibition “Premio Vico Magistretti -- Living Simplicity in Furniture Design”, DePadova Showroom, Milan, Italy, 2007.
- Chen, Ing-Tse; Winning Entry “Survivor” Designboom 2006 International Design Competition “Shelter in a Cart”Exhibition “City Environment & Design #6 - Mobility: Design in Nomadism”, Hangaram Design Museum, Seoul Arts Center, Seoul, Korea, 2006.
- Chen, Ing-Tse (Contributor); “An Element of Hope – Sparkling Life” in “Urban Hopes – made in China by Steven Holl”Christoph Kumpusch (Ed.), Lars Mueller Publishers, 2014.
- Chen, Ing-Tse (Project Architect/Author); “Memory of HS9 from an Architect，“Interior Design China” 2009-08 Issue, “Matter of Design” Column.
- Chen, Ing-Tse (Designer/Author), “Mobile Social Housing/Shelter -- A Street Cart Named SURVIVOR - A Multi-functional Tricycle Designed for the Homeless Population “Dialogue” 2008-12 Issue “Activities-Fields”, 2008.
- Chen, Ing-Tse (Designer/Author); C.J. Anderson Wu (Editor),“One Way for the Outcast to Make a Come-Back” Design Project “A Street Cart Named SURVIVOR – A Multi-Functional Tricycle Shelter” “Taiwan Architect” 2008-11 Issue 407.
- Chen, Ing-Tse; “New Village = New Medical System”,“Urban China - Build Socialist New Village” - 2006-9-15 Issue 12.
- Conference/Forum Participation
- Speaker, “Smart/Un-Smart Architectural Practices in China” Symposium: Sm Art C – Chongqing: Wien, Seidenterrassen wie unterirdische Moostuerme im Diskurs - Culture App Experiment zwischen China und Europa zu Urbanem University of Applied Arts Vienna, Vienna, Austria, 2015.
- Speaker, “Organic Urban Rejuvenation: Discover What You Already Have – Three Stories”LP Space Forum “Play City_Sm-Art C&V” , Chongqing, PR. China, 2015.